Friday, March 2, 2007

Sturm und Drang


"75 and sunny" I said! Ha!

More like menacing and thunderous.

I must have jinxed something because last night we had the most incredible storm. I'd never seen anything like it (we stick to earthquakes over in Los Angeles). Rain poured down in sheets from the eerily glowing sky as nearly continuous thunder and lightning created this dizzying strobe effect of light and sound. The wind whipped through my open window so hard it knocked half the items off my desk.

Jerrod and I raced out in ponchos to protect my tender seedlings from the onslaught. We called out to each other as we worked above the ceaseless, deafening roar, and the sense of urgency and camaraderie was the picture of melodrama.

So much fun!

Jerrod, Southern, used to all this, could brush it off and go to sleep indifferent. But I in my naive excitement was up for hours just watching the squall.

Everyone (plants included) was fine in the morning. Except for a few fallen branches it's like it never hit at all. The sky is back to baby blue and I'm gardening again as usual. Check out my amazing potato plants. They're growing like an inch a day! I can hardly mound the earth up fast enough.


And see how pretty my "mystery planter" (which turned out to be an old grill, go figure) looks all done up in lettuce, nasturtiums and two bell pepper plants?


This place is something else, I'll tell you that much.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Aww that's awful! How long did you have them? I've never been good with bulbs. I think i have commitment issues...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that BBQ planter. I am goign to go to the junkyard and try and get one for my place. I had an old BBQ welded to the back of my mobile home and I used to grow snap peas in it when I would stay on the coast for a few months. Great minds think alike.

Anonymous said...

I had an amaryllis named Toks once. It flowered beautifully for about four years out in the open air warehouse area of the office where I work. Once I brought Toks inside into the front office his bloom cycle shifted and he started to flower robustly twice a year!!